Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1) by Melissa F. Olson

4 "Promising Start" Stars


 
Back Cover Blurb -

After her twin sister’s brutal murder, former US Army Sergeant Allison “Lex” Luther vowed to protect her niece, Charlie. So when two vampires try to kidnap the baby, it quickly turns into a fight to the death—Lex’s death, that is.

She wakes up to two shocking discoveries: she has miraculously survived the fight, and baby Charlie is a “null,” gifted with the ability to weaken supernatural forces...and a target for creatures who want to control that power. Determined to guarantee her niece’s safety, Lex makes a deal with the local vampires. She sets out with the mysterious—and undead—“fixer” Quinn to track down whoever’s responsible for the kidnapping, sharpening her newfound magic skills along the way. But the closer she gets to the truth, the more dangerous her powers become.

Boundary Crossed is a dark, thrilling journey into a world where the line between living and dead isn’t nearly as solid as it appears...
....................
 
Sometimes, just sometimes we could all use and want to pick up a nice, “think-less” read. One of those books that just flows and doesn’t have too much drama. A book that isn’t out to emotionally gut you; one of those books that has just enough action to keep it interesting and just enough sexual tension to keep it exciting. Well, Boundary Crossed is just that book and seems to be a promising start to a new Urban Fantasy series, Boundary Magic.

“Lex” is a tough girl, who can take care of herself. She doesn’t make friends easily and the ones that she does have, she protects with her life, especially her family. So when Lex’s sister is killed, she will stop at nothing to get justice for her and protect her niece from succumbing to the same fate. It’s all so much easier said than done though, especially when a whole paranormal community is after her and hell bent on getting their hands on her niece. Making unlikely alliances and uncovering secrets and deceptions at every turn, it’s hard even for a tough-as-nails girl such as Lex to handle, but after several hard years in the Army, it’s going to take a little more than rabid werewolves, power hungry vampires and untrusting witches to keep Lex down. After all, she didn’t become a Sergeant in the US Army by being afraid and playing it safe and she soon shows those after her just how ruthless she can actually be.

Boundary Crossed was a nice, fun read for me. Never having read a book by author Melissa Olson before, I really went into this without much expectation and was mildly surprised by how much I actually enjoyed it. I am always overly critical of “first books” in a series, because those books are going to be the deciding factors of whether or not I decide to keep on with a series. I need characters that I enjoy reading about, plots that aren’t too easily predictable or “used” up, intelligent writing and a storyline worth my attention, luckily this one had it all and it managed to keep me engaged from start to finish. I will say that I am probably being extra generous with my 4 star rating, but after a streak of reading some Urban Fantasy books that were complete disappointments, I was pretty excited to find one that I didn’t hate.
 

Overall, yes, I recommend this one. I can’t say that it ranks up there with my favorites in the genre, however, it does deliver as far as readability is concerned and I will be picking up the next one in the series once available. Those that are fans of the Urban Fantasy genre should consider giving this one a shot. If you can go into it without too much expectation, I think you will actually enjoy it.

Happy reading, until next time…


No comments:

Post a Comment