Sunday, May 17, 2015

Never Never: Part Two (Never Never, #2) by Colleen Hoover and Tarryn Fisher

4 "I want more right now" Stars


Back Cover Blurb -
 
“Never forget that I was your first real kiss. Never forget that you’ll be my last.
And never stop loving me between all of them.
Never stop, Charlie.
Never forget.”

Silas races against time as more truths unravel, while others twist tighter together. And now, the stakes are higher as Silas’ control slips and others begin to point fingers. Charlie is in trouble and he must be the one to bridge the chasm between their past and their present. Because somewhere between I love yous and Never Nevers and Never Agains, a truth they can't imagine, beckons to be found.

“Where are you, Charlie?”
....................
Bravo Ms. Hoover and Ms. Fisher, you have done it yet again – completely captivated me with your writing and words.

In this second episode (I use that term, because just like book one, book two is a very short read) of the Never Never trilogy, things pick up exactly where book one left us hanging. I actually went back and read the last couple of chapters of book one, just to have everything fresh in my mind before I started on this one and I’m glad that I did, it really helped to set my mood and anticipation again. If you haven’t read Never Never: Book One, then you will need to start there. This one is not a stand-alone and things are already confusing enough within the storyline, you won’t want to add any extra confusion, trust me. Don’t worry though, book one is GREAT and it’s short, it’s completely worth the time and the read.

“I know that’s weird, but that’s what you love about me. You love how much I love you. Because yes, I love you way too much. More than anyone deserves to be loved. But I can’t help it. You make normal love hard. You make me psycho-love you.”

In this second episode, we get yet another piece of the puzzle that is Never Never. Even after reading this, I’m at a loss as to what is really going on (though I have a few hunches), but as with the other books that I have read from both Ms. Hoover and Ms. Fisher, nothing and everything is as it seems. I can see the final picture taking form, but yet things are still aggravatingly out of focus. We are given just enough in this one to think, hmmmm….maybe, but not enough to form any solid conclusions. The little clues dropped here and there are infuriating. I WANT to figure this out! The truth is like a carrot dangling in front of me…errrrr…actually, I don’t like carrots much, so let’s instead use cake, yes I like cake, that will do. It’s like a cake dangling in front of me, urging me to keep reaching for it, but all the while, staying just outside my grasp. There are so many ways that Ms. Hoover and Ms. Fisher can take this story and I’m excited (and impatient) to see how it all wraps up.

Silas and Charlie have lost their memories yet again, only this time Charlie is missing and Silas has to begin at square one alone. With the added pressure of trying to find Charlie on top of trying to digest, figure out and fix what has happened to them, all within the span of 48-hours, Silas’s world starts closing in on him. Trying to keep up appearances for both his and Charlie’s sakes and trying to keep the rest of the world clueless as to their all too real problem that he’s sure no one would believe, because he can hardly believe and comprehend it himself, things finally become too much. With the police now involved and the suspicion of his parents and peers mounting by the moment, Silas is forced to reveal his and Charlie’s secret, the one thing he never wanted to do. Can he trust who he told? Is there anyone that he can even trust in all of this? With every answer that he gets, a bigger question is posed and with every step he takes in order to get the truth, he also takes a step closer to when his time will run out and he and Charlie are forced to start everything all over, yet again. I was hooked!

So, this series reminds me a bit of the movie, Fifty First Dates. Well, minus the comedy, the storyline, the characters, the plot, the…okay, okay, it is NOTHING like Fifty First Dates, except the whole memory loss aspect. But anyway, I remember when I first watched that movie, I thought how sucky it would be to wake up every day and have no memory of anyone you met or anything you did past a certain point in your life and how scary it would be to read about you, by you. Not to mention the trust that you have to learn all in a day to be able to believe that the people around you are sincere and not taking advantage of you. All, so you can turn around and do it again the next day. How exhausting. But now, after reading Never Never, I think I would much prefer Drew Barrymore’s life in that movie, because even though she would have to learn to trust people daily, at least she had people that she could trust. I don’t know how I would deal with experiencing all that initial shock and then having to digest everything if I was all alone. Wow, I think sucky doesn’t cover how bad that situation would stink.

Overall, yes, this is a definite must read. Both episodes one and two are fantastically written and the story itself is addicting. The only complaint that I had about the first one and I have again about this one, is the shortness of each one and that’s really only because I’m such a selfish B* and want MORE and MORE and MORE. I feel like such a petulant child right now, full pout in place, angry red cheeks, with both arms outstretched, fists opening and clenching, screaming, “GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME!” That is what these books do to me, they bring out my inner she-devil, the little tantrum throwing child. *sigh* Off I go, to find other books now to fill the time until I can get my hands on part three.

Happy reading, until next time…  

No comments:

Post a Comment